In honor of Earth Day, here are five easy ways you can be sure your short-term rental is eco-friendly and energy efficient. This year’s Earth Day Network campaign is to end plastic pollution—our first three tips can help you take part today and every day.
- Provide recycling options. Clearly label your bins and provide information on bin collection. If given the opportunity, most guests will recycle. Take it a step further: if your property has a garden, provide a compost bin. But, be sure to include detailed instructions! You don’t want anyone putting something in your compost that doesn’t belong there.
- Help out guests who want to shop and cook by leaving reusable shopping bags so they don’t have to buy their own or use disposable plastic bags.
- Have filtered water in the house so guests don’t have to buy plastic water bottles. This can be a filter installed on your tap or a Brita filter in the fridge. Perhaps leave a few reusable water bottles for guests to borrow.
- Install energy efficient lighting. Energy efficient bulbs obviously use less energy, but also save you money by lasting longer, which is also a bonus if you can’t visit your property often.
- Help reduce the carbon footprint by giving your guests local public transportation info.